• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Armed robber shot by police in Brighton was lawfully killed

by Frank le Duc
Saturday 4 Feb, 2012 at 7:38PM
A A
0

A man shot dead by police in Brighton was lawfully killed, according to the unanimous verdict of an inquest jury.

The jury returned their verdict yesterday (Friday 3 February) at Brighton Coroner’s Court.

They had been told that Michael Fitzpatrick, 49, was killed by armed officers in Rock Place, Brighton, on Thursday 10 February last year.

He died from gunshot wounds to the chest and abdomen.

The armed officers had intended to arrest Fitzpatrick who was suspected to have carried out a number of armed robberies in Burgess Hill.

But he pulled out a gun – a gas-powered BB gun – and pointed it at police.

Fitzpatrick, who had been jailed previously for 12 years for conspiracy to murder and two armed robberies, was shot by one of the officers.

He was given first aid by officers and taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital near by where he doctors pronounced him dead.

Sussex Police Assistant Chief Constable Olivia Pinkney said after the inquest: “My thoughts are with the family and friends of Michael Fitzpatick today at what is undoubtedly a very difficult time.

“The decision made by officers that day is one of the most profoundly difficult decisions an officer may face in their career.

“As heard during the inquest, the officers had just three seconds to take action to protect themselves and members of the public against the visible threat of a firearm.

“Firearms officers are highly trained and the use of lethal force is seen as a last resort to protect the public or themselves.

“Any decision to use that high level of force will weigh heavily on those officers’ minds.

“We have fully supported the coroner’s inquest and an Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) investigation into Michael Fitzpatrick’s death, providing documents and witnesses to help determine the cause of death and the circumstances in which he died.

“The IPCC didn’t find any failings by officers in respect of Michael Fitzpatrick’s death, concluding that excellent decision-making had taken place and that the officers’ actions were both appropriate and proportionate.

“The police operation was described as having been impeccably planned and officers had taken the right action to deal proactively with the threat posed by a dangerous individual.

“After completing what the coroner described as a robust and independent investigation, the IPCC concluded that the recommendations made to Sussex Police would not have prevented the death of Mr Fitzpatrick.

“Officers had acted within moments to tend to Mr Fitzpatrick, but tragically neither they nor paramedics were able to save his life.”

The Coroner for Brighton and Hove, Veronica Hamilton-Deeley, and the jury extended their sympathies to Mr Fitzpatrick’s family and the officers involved.

They specifically praised the immediate medical care provided by the firearms officers, describing it as exemplary.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

School building to become temporary charity hub

Toilet tax plan to hit those in greatest need, say critics

Armed robber shot by police in Brighton was lawfully killed

Ex-PM sends claims about former prince to Sussex Police

New mural encourages tourists into the North Laine

Café can become gym after plans approved

Council plans to close day centre for people with learning disabilities

Parents angry over failings that led to school closure plan

Brighton PC barred from policing for dishonesty

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

by George Sessions - PA
21 February 2026
0

Brentford 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 2 Brighton and Hove Albion marked James Milner’s record-breaking 654th Premier League appearance with...

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

by Frank le Duc
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are to start with four changes at Brentford to the side that lost to Liverpool in...

Hürzeler says Brighton and Hove Albion may need to ‘win ugly’

Brighton and Hove Albion boss urges everyone to stay positive

by PA sport staff
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has urged everyone involved with the club to stay positive despite the side’s...

Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Load More
February 2012
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
272829  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Driver arrested after man dies in crash late last night 21 February 2026
  • Ex-PM sends memo about former prince to Sussex Police 20 February 2026
  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News