• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

FOI website suspends link with Brighton and Hove council after repeated data breaches

by Jo Wadsworth
Friday 24 Jul, 2015 at 11:52AM
A A
1

Pioneering freedom of information website WhatDoTheyKnow has paused its automated link from Brighton and Hove City Council after it repeatedly published private information online.

Logo Brighton and Hove City CouncilMySociety, which runs the site, also provides the software which powers the council’s own FOI website, which then automatically feeds to WhatDoTheyKnow.

It is now in talks with the council after being alerted to the issue by one of its volunteers, who discovered that as well as publishing the names of scores people making requests without their knowledge, it had also accidentally released personal details of junior employees.

The volunteer, who blogs as wilmslowfilmfanatics, also published a lengthy post outlining his concerns. She said: “Brighton and Hove have been publishing the names of FOI requesters who had asked to remain anonymous on their site, and worse, appear to have been uploading the private information of individuals who had decided to make a request to them direct via email.

“Since becoming aware of this issue I have had to redact personal information from over 130 ‘anonymous’ requests that contained personally identifiable information.”

She added: “In addition, whilst looking into this issue I came across a spreadsheet containing large amounts of personal data belonging to very junior employees of the council that had been sent in response to a request in error.

“This is far from the first time that the council had leaked information in that way. In June 2012 they released a spreadsheet containing the names, ethnicity information, SEN status and other sensitive personal information belonging to children who have been excluded from schools in the area.

“In March 2014 they released a spreadsheet containing the full names, gender, ethnicity, nationality and other case details of almost 1,400 children who had had contact with the council’s social services department since 2008.

“In April 2015 they released a spreadsheet containing the full names and addresses of hundreds of housing tenants and their children along with benefit information.”

Myfanwy Nixon, marketing and communications manager for MySociety, said: “We contacted the council on 20 July providing them with many examples that may constitute a breach of privacy and requesting that they address these process issues.

“Since the council have not yet acted to remove all the information we highlighted, and since lapses continue to be made, we are in the process of disabling the software that makes copies of the requests on FOI register and republishes them on WhatDoTheyKnow.com.

“In the meantime we are grateful to FOI Monkey, who has given up a substantial portion of their personal time to remedy the council’s failings by manually editing many requests and responses in order to protect users’ privacy.”

By Thursday, the council has amended its website to make it clear requesters’ details will be public, and has removed the personal information.

A spokesman said: “We are investigating this information breach and will take all appropriate action to minimise the possibility of it happening again. We are happy to work with organisations that help publicise the work of the council in the spirit of transparency.”

A spokesman for the Information Commissioners Office said: “Individuals who make freedom of information requests must have their details handled fairly.

“Many people who have made a request would not expect to have their name linked to published details of the request they have made. If a public authority is considering releasing this information then they must consider why publishing the requester’s name is necessary.

“While there is a need for authorities to be transparent about the freedom of information process, in most cases this would not extend to revealing names. We would be concerned if authorities were releasing people’s names simply to deter requesters.

“However, there may be some cases where the person making the request is doing so in a public capacity, for example if they’re a local MP, or in a professional capacity, for example if they’re a journalist, and so publication of their name may well be fair.

“At the very least people should be told that their details will be published and given the opportunity to explain to the council why their name should not be disclosed. If having raised it with the authority a person is not happy with the way their details have been handled then we may be able to help.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Jon Baines says:
    11 years ago

    FOIMonkey is a she, not a he. And it’s a shame the council haven’t thanked her.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

FOI website suspends link with Brighton and Hove council after repeated data breaches

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
July 2015
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News