• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Hove

Sussex county cricket captain steps down

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 1 Jun, 2017 at 12:33PM
A A
0
Sussex county cricket captain steps down

Luke Wright

Luke Wright has stepped down as the captain of Sussex County Cricket Club, it was announced this morning (Thursday 1 June).

His decision comes after a lacklustre start to the current campaign. Sussex failed to make the quarter-finals of the Royal London One-Day Cup and have won only one of their first four County Championship matches of the season.

Chris Nash will lead the team for the County Championship match against Worcestershire which starts tomorrow (Friday 2 June).

Announcing Wright’s decision, the club said: “The 32-year-old batsman, who has been with the club since joining from Leicestershire in 2004, has taken the decision to relinquish the captaincy.

“Wright originally took over as NatWest T20 Blast captain for Sussex ahead of the 2015 season, which was also his benefit year at Hove.

“He then took over the captaincy across all three formats of the game in 2016, following Ed Joyce’s decision to end his own reign as skipper.

“He has now decided to step down as Sussex captain, with the side having played four Specsavers County Championship matches so far this summer, as well as the Royal London One-Day Cup campaign, which the Sharks narrowly missed out on a quarter-final berth.”

Wright said: “Firstly, I would like thank Sussex for the privilege and honour of being made captain of this fantastic club.

“I have always been someone that loves and enjoys the game but over a period of time now while being captain, this has not been the case and it has affected me both on and off the pitch.

“After taking some time I decided that stepping down was in mine and the club’s best interests going forward.

“I look forward to giving my full commitment as a player to future Sussex successes.”

Luke Wright

Sussex director of cricket Keith Greenfield said: “Luke has made this decision with the best interests of himself, his young family and the team and we thank him for all of his efforts while captaining the club. It is an all-encompassing position, particularly while rebuilding the team.

“Luke plays his best when enjoying his cricket and playing in an attacking manner. We all want to see Luke play with a smile on his face and enjoying his cricket.

“This way, we will all see the best of Luke and we know he’ll continue to drive success for Sussex Cricket going forward.”

Head coach Mark Davis said: “I would like to thank Luke for everything he has done for the team in his role as captain.

“I have thoroughly enjoyed working with Luke and establishing a new-look Sussex team that will bring success back to our great club.

“His passion and enthusiasm for the club is second to none and without the stress and strains of captaincy, I am convinced he will be back to winning games for the club.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Sussex county cricket captain steps down

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
June 2017
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News