• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
15 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Zipwire goes up on Brighton seafront

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 27 Jun, 2017 at 2:15PM
A A
2
Zipwire goes up on Brighton seafront

Brighton’s latest attraction has finally made an appearance on the seafront, as its distinctive spiral staircase tower begins to go up.

It was hoped that the £1.7million attraction, a replacement for the Brighton Wheel, would be open by Easter – but today’s appearance suggests it will be open in time for the summer holidays.

Once the tower is fully erected, it will be 75ft or 22.5 metres high, and a 300m long zip wire will run to a boat-like structure in Madeira Drive opposite the bottom of Atlingworth Street.

A café seating up to 140 people with an open glass-fronted terrace is also planned.

The developer said that the zip wire would attract about 32,000 visitors a year, based on a maximum of 24 riders an hour on the two cables. The owners, Paramount Entertainment, say it will employ up to 40 full time and part time staff.

It is planned to open the attraction from 10am until 11pm all year round although the weather is likely to restrict numbers at times.

The plans were approved unaminously by Brighton and Hove’s planning committee last October, despite concerns about noise and disruption from residents.

Councillors were told that stag and hen parties and others who had been drinking would not be allowed on the ride.

Delso Da Silva, from Paramount, said last autumn: “We’re really excited at the moment and really happy with the outcome. We just wanted to get started with it now.”

Mr Da Silva, who was general manager of the Brighton Wheel, added: “It’s all about getting the trade back to Madeira Drive and getting the jobs back there.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. T Reviewer says:
    9 years ago

    Looks more elegant and appealing than that Big Grey iSore.

    Reply
    • The Dirty Pants Cowboy says:
      9 years ago

      Yes, yes, quite so…

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Three women recovered off Brighton beach not believed to have attended nightclub

Drowned women now identified, police believe

Lewes brewery plans taproom and pizza restaurant next to Prince Albert

Brighton and Hove MPs speak out after women’s bodies recovered from sea

Work on £7m seafront cycle lane scheme due to start in autumn

Father in High Court bid to challenge Hove GP’s ‘unlawful’ gender treatment policy

Alcoholic made up assault claims to get boyfriend arrested

Zipwire goes up on Brighton seafront

Bodies of three women recovered from sea off Brighton beach

Patti Smith: A legend returns to Brighton Dome

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Review: Kindling’s lunch to linger over

Review: Kindling’s lunch to linger over

14 May 2026
Patti Smith: A legend returns to Brighton Dome

Patti Smith: A legend returns to Brighton Dome

13 May 2026
Katie Kirby: Lottie Brooks’s Diary

Katie Kirby brings Lottie Brooks to life

12 May 2026
Time Keeps the Drummer

Fevered Sleep brings eclectic Time Keeps The Drummer to Brighton

12 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex cruise to seven-wicket win over Leicestershire at Hove

by Bruce Talbot - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 May 2026
0

Sussex 430 (113.4 overs) and 131-3 (15.3 overs) Leicestershire 328 (88.4 overs) and 232 (80.5 overs) Sussex (23 points) beat...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex kept at bay as Leicestershire fight back on day three at Hove

by Paul Weaver - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
10 May 2026
0

Sussex 430 all out (113.4 overs) Leicestershire 328 all out (88.4 overs) and 154-4 (56 overs) Leicestershire (5 points) lead...

Brighton and Hove Albion reach Women’s FA Cup final for first time

Brighton and Hove Albion reach Women’s FA Cup final for first time

by PA sport staff
10 May 2026
0

Liverpool 2 Brighton and Hove Albion 3 Brighton and Hove Albion substitute Nadine Noordam struck a dramatic added-time winner to...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex take lead over Leicestershire at Hove

by Paul Weaver - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
9 May 2026
0

Sussex 386-8 (101 overs) Leicestershire 328 (88.4 overs) Sussex (6 points) lead Leicestershire (4 points) by 58 runs with 2...

Load More
June 2017
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Smurf line drug dealer jailed 13 May 2026
  • Patti Smith: A legend returns to Brighton Dome 13 May 2026
  • Driver arrested after woman dies in crash today 12 May 2026
  • Ministers consult on latest plan for shake up of Sussex councils 12 May 2026
  • Man, 68, charged with rape 9 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News