• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Council flushed with loo success – but peeing public seems unconvinced

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 8 Nov, 2017 at 2:55PM
A A
8
Council flushed with loo success – but peeing public seems unconvinced

The toilets in Madeira Drive in November 2017 – Picture by Neil Sykes

Brighton and Hove’s loos have been heaped with awards by a national team of inspectors – but despite a clutch of gold and platinum awards, the news doesn’t seem to have impressed the people who actually use them.

The toilets on Madeira Drive last Monday. Picture by Neil Sykes

An annual audit by the national, independent ‘Loo of the Year Awards’ (LOYA) organisation has graded the toilets the highest ever, with four sites receiving an improved grading on last year.

The LOYA, which aims to ‘encourage the highest possible standards in all away from home washrooms’, inspected all 37 of the council’s loos without warning, with 19 being awarded the highest Platinum status and 18 awarded Gold.

But when the news was announced on Twitter yesterday, the responses weren’t quite what the council will have been hoping for.

Josh Bax said: “Blimey. I must have been imaging things using the loos on Hove prom the other week when filthy and smelly…”

Richard said: “I thought it must be 1st April, but I must be in a parallel universe. Presumably, they were given a good clean before the judges got there. Toilets are smelly and filthy, as I have repeatedly tweeted.”

And Tom Thistlewaite said: “Ditto about Hove Park – and also Queen’s Park, both in terrible condition. The new provider Healthmatic seems notably worse compared with [former contractor] Wettons.”

Other people highlighted the dwindling number of public loos, with several closed over the last decade, including six more over the last year.

However, Councillor Gill Mitchell, chair of the city’s environment, transport and sustainability committee, said the council was doing its best and was happy with the awards:

She said: “We strive to maintain good standards in our loos and are delighted to see we are even better than last year.

“There is sometimes a fear when people need to use a public toilet, but both our residents and tourists can use our loos knowing they are clean, looked after and hygienic enough to win national awards.

“We’ll receive detailed reports for each toilet in December and will use these as a basis to try and achieve even higher standards next year.”

The council’s loos will now compete against hundreds of other organisations in the prestigious Loo of the Year awards national event on Friday 8 December to find the best public toilets in the UK – dubbed the Oscars of the toilet world.

Last year the council scooped first prize in the Best Local Authority Toilets in England category, and also picked up the number one spots for Best Beach Toilets in the UK (West Pier Arches) and Best Crematorium Toilets in the UK (Hove Cemetery South).

Then the 37 loos received 17 platinum (more than any other local authority in the UK), 16 golds and 4 silvers.

Judges look at more than 100 different criteria before choosing the finest loos in the land, giving them a ‘platinum’, ‘gold’ or ‘silver’ grade following an unannounced visit by a fully trained and authorised Loo of the Year Awards Inspector.

The Loo of the Year Awards are independently run, sponsored by leading toilet and hygiene equipment companies and supported by the four UK national tourism bodies – Visit England, Visit Scotland, Visit Wales and the Northern Ireland Tourist Board.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 8

  1. Mark lawson says:
    9 years ago

    Try the toilets down on the level then, their DISGUSTING!

    Reply
  2. rolivan says:
    9 years ago

    LOYA must be sponsored by the Councils Cleaning Contractor to have received these awards?

    Reply
  3. Valerie says:
    9 years ago

    Like many now I only shop where I know a loo is available close by that is safe and accessible.

    It is no wonder retailers are struggle ho survive when deterrence parking and absence if public toilets makes shopping so challenging gor mums with babies, children along with elderly & disabled!

    Shopping online anyone?

    Reply
  4. Annonomous says:
    9 years ago

    The council response is the biggest load of crap I’ve heard all year… I used to work for wettons before council opted for the cheaper contractors Heath matic who have laid off nearly all employees including myself. so now there is one van with one cleaner in basically doing the whole of Brighton and hove, utter joke and will only get worse.

    Reply
  5. Hugo Rune says:
    9 years ago

    Toilets; it’s a dirty word, and a dirty thing, and I hope that there is soon a significant improvement in the standards of hygiene in Brighton’s public conveniences.

    Reply
  6. Sven says:
    9 years ago

    Goodness me the toilets in this city are disgraceful and I should know I’m a taxi driver with many years experience of using pretty much all of them. The one that disgusts me most is the gents in Goldstone Road which is in a filthy condition and where on numerous occasions you find men standing at the urinals masturbating! What are you going to do about it?

    Reply
  7. Karen leitch says:
    9 years ago

    The toilets have really gone down hill since they havent been attended bring back the attendents i use 2 clean the collanade public toilets durin the summer with another member of staff and they were never in the state they are now

    Reply
  8. Fishwife, 49 says:
    9 years ago

    Somebody’s taking the p!ss: if the council seriously expected their tweet to be met with anything other than justifiable incredulity, they’re living in a fantasy world with flowers and bells and little frogs with hats on.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Council flushed with loo success – but peeing public seems unconvinced

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Firefighters put out blaze on boat at Marina

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
November 2017
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News