• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Pedestrian badly hurt in bus crash

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 30 Nov, 2017 at 1:34PM
A A
9
Pedestrian badly hurt in bus crash

A pedestrian has been seriously injured after stepping out in front of a bus by St Peter’s Church this lunchtime.

The man was treated at the scene before being taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital.

Roads were closed and traffic diverted along London Road as emergency services work at the scene.

Brighton and Hove Buses Managing Director Martin Harris said: “We regret to report a pedestrian stepped out in front of a bus earlier today and was hit. He’s been taken to hospital where we understand he is being treated for a serious injury.

“The accident happened at the bottom of Lewes Road on the St Peter’s Church bus lane in the direction of the Old Steine.

“Our thoughts are with the pedestrian. We dearly hope he makes a full recovery. We’re staying in close contact with the hospital so we know how he’s doing. We’re also taking care of our driver who was badly shaken by the incident.

“CCTV footage shows the pedestrian was – sadly – looking the other way when he stepped off the kerb and into the road. Our driver was driving at less than 15 miles per hour as he was moving towards the traffic lights and, though they were on green, he was alert to them changing and braked immediately.

“No passengers were hurt. Disabled passengers were helped off the bus and escorted to the London Road bus stop they required by our Accessibility Officer – who called ahead to the service they wanted to alert the driver they were waiting.”

⚠ ❗ Due to an incident at St Peter's Church, northbound buses are using the main carriageway – St George's Place/York Place. Southbound services are unaffected! ⚠

— B&H Buses (@BrightonHoveBus) November 30, 2017

A spokesman for South East Coast Ambulance Service said: “We were called at approximately 12.40pm today to reports a pedestrian had been hit by a bus on York Place, near St Peter’s Church, Brighton.

“Ambulance crews in two ambulances and two cars attended the scene. A man was treated at the scene for serious injuries before being taken to Royal Sussex County Hospital.”

A police spokeswoman said: “Emergency services were called to York Place, Brighton at 12.43pm on Thursday (November 30) to a collision between a pedestrian and a bus.

“The road has been closed while emergency services are on scene. The pedestrian is believed to be in a serious condition.”

The fire service said they assisted on the scene until 1.07pm.

The accident happened a couple of hundred metres away from where a six-year-old girl was left with potentially life-changing injuries to one of her feet after being hit by a coach as she crossed Marlborough Place by the Mazda Fountain in June this year.

The police investigation concluded last month with a recommendation for no further action.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 9

  1. Emma says:
    9 years ago

    I use that crossing every day as part of my walk to work,and know how dangerous that area can be for pedestrians. I wish a speedy recovery to the victim involved.

    Reply
  2. Patrick says:
    9 years ago

    It wouldn’t be so bad if pedestrians looked before walking out into the road, especially when using headphones!

    Reply
    • Jo Wadsworth says:
      9 years ago

      a quick reminder that we don’t know what caused the crash

      Reply
      • Harvey says:
        9 years ago

        Yes we do, he walked out in the road looking the wrong way if you read the article.

        Reply
        • Jo Wadsworth says:
          9 years ago

          Hi Harvey – I wrote the article! When I replied to your comment, the quote from Martin Harris wasn’t in there.

          Reply
  3. Barney says:
    9 years ago

    As Jo Wadsworth says, we don’t know the full story, but the road layout in that area can be confusing for the unaware.

    Every day though, I see what I refer to as “mobile ‘phone zombies”, staring at that little screen and totally impervious to their surroundings as they step out into the road without looking.

    This man may have made an innocent mistake, and I wish him well and feel for his family, whatever the circumstances may have been, but some people nowadays are just too stupid to live in a modern society.

    Can that call, or that text, really be more important than staying alive?

    Reply
  4. Brighton Local says:
    9 years ago

    Wow! Maybe to those ‘commenters’ trying to point the finger, maybe try just being thoughtful to all those affected by this. For all we know, this was a visitor to Brighton from somewhere they drive on the right. We just don’t know, so find your humanity!

    Reply
  5. Steve Foley says:
    9 years ago

    Was the pedestrian a stranger to Brighton who may not have been aware of buses on that section of road or possibly from a country where they drive on the other side? We do not know at this time. My symampathies to both the bus driver and the injured person.

    Reply
  6. Stephen J Foley says:
    9 years ago

    Could the pedestrian be a stranger to Brighton who may not have been aware of buses on that section of road or possibly from a country where they drive on the other side? We do not know at this time. My symampathies are to both the bus driver and the injured person in this unhappy event.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Pedestrian badly hurt in bus crash

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
November 2017
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News