• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

CPS fined £325k after 15 child sex abuse victims’ interviews vanish from Brighton office

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 17 May, 2018 at 3:28PM
A A
2
CPS fined £325k after 15 child sex abuse victims’ interviews vanish from Brighton office

The CPS offices in Dyke Road in Brighton

The Crown Prosecution Service has been fined £325,000 after 15 child sex abuse victims’ interviews vanished from its Brighton offices.

The police interviews had been sent on unencrypted DVDs from the CPS offices in Guildford to the organisation’s offices in Dyke Road, Brighton.

The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), which imposed the fine, said: “The DVDs contained recordings of interviews with 15 victims of child sex abuse to be used at the trial.

“This is the second penalty imposed on the CPS following the loss of sensitive video recordings.

“The DVDs contained the most intimate sensitive details of the victims, as well as the sensitive personal data of the perpetrator, and some identifying information about other parties.

“The DVDs were sent by tracked delivery between two CPS offices, with the recipient office being in a shared building.

“The delivery was made outside office hours, and the DVDs – which were not in tamper-proof packaging – were left in the reception.

“Although the building’s entry doors were locked, anyone with access to the building could access this reception area.

“The DVDs were sent in November 2016 but it was not discovered that they were lost until December.

“The CPS notified the victims in March 2017 and reported the loss to the ICO the following month.

“It is not known what has happened to the DVDs.

“The ICO ruled that the CPS was negligent when it failed to ensure the videos were kept safe and did not take into account the substantial distress that would be caused if the videos were lost.

“It also found that, despite being fined £200,000 following a separate breach in November 2015 – in which victim and witness video evidence was also lost – the CPS had not ensured that appropriate care was being taken to avoid similar breaches re-occurring.”

The CPS offices in Dyke Road in Brighton

Steve Eckersley, head of enforcement at the ICO, said: “The victims of serious crimes entrusted the CPS to look after their highly sensitive personal data – a loss in trust could influence victims’ willingness to report serious crimes.

“The CPS failed to take basic steps to protect the data of victims of serious sexual offences.

“Given the nature of the personal data, it should have been obvious that this information must be properly safeguarded, as its loss could cause substantial distress.

“The CPS must take urgent action to demonstrate that it can be trusted with the most sensitive information.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. rolivan says:
    8 years ago

    So where does the money come from to pay these fines.It is time for individuals to be held accountable and not just sent on training courses.

    Reply
  2. W says:
    8 years ago

    It’s no good to target individuals. If you did, they wouldn’t be able to pay the fines, but more importantly, the organisations would have no incentive to have decent procedures in place.

    Instead, they would be able to blame it on an individual and say they did not follow their policies.

    As it is, the data protection laws in the UK and many other countries, put the responsibility on the organisations to ensure the whole organisation takes these issues seriously. The new laws coming in to effect next week make these requirements stronger.

    That said, an individual does not always get away with it – any organisation could fire someone responsible if it were found they failed to follow process or policies of the organisation.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

New bus route to start next month

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

CPS fined £325k after 15 child sex abuse victims’ interviews vanish from Brighton office

Odeon developer asks permission for 12-month ad shroud

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 5: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 5: 25 reviews)

22 May 2026
SORA pop up to bring a layer of class to Malmaison

SORA arrives at Malmaison Brighton Marina

22 May 2026
Phone-free restaurant gets permanent home

Phone-free restaurant gets permanent home

22 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 4: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 4: 25 reviews)

22 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
May 2018
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Apr   Jun »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News