• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Developer consigns Brighton community hub to bin store

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 25 Jul, 2019 at 12:01AM
A A
0
Developer consigns Brighton community hub to bin store

The old Lectern pub

A developer has been criticised for plans to downgrade an area set aside for community use and to consign it to a space the size of a bin store.

The former Labour council leader Daniel Yates said that local people feel conned by the proposal from the developer SC Pelham Terrace.

The company has planning permission to put up a nine-storey block of student flats – known as the Student Castle – in Pelham Terrace in Lewes Road, Brighton.

When planning permission was granted by Brighton and Hove City Council, it included a condition that much of the ground floor would be a community hub for people in Moulsecoomb and Bevendean. The community space included a café and a meeting room.

But revised plans show a much-reduced area for the community – where the bin store had been intended to go.

The area originally intended for the community would instead be used for a “Centre for Inclusive Music”.

More than 50 objections were sent to the council within days of the details of the amended plans being shared.

Coombe Road Area Local Action Team member Paul Rix shared an image showing the differences between the space that had been promised and the new proposal on a Moulsecoomb and Bevendean Facebook group.

He said: “I’m stunned the developers think they can take away this space set aside for local residents.

“It was going to be big enough for events, classes, kids’ parties, etc, and now, well, it’s a bin cupboard!

“People when they see what’s being offered are outraged I think. There’s a real disbelief that the developers could be so brazen.

“There’s been a fantastic response to the posts on Facebook so far.

“People who’ve never taken an interest in local developments are signing up on the council website and registering their objections.

“It’s really heart-warming to see the local community come together to fight this.”

The old Lectern pub

Councillor Yates, who represents Moulsecoomb and Bevendean on the council, shared his objection on a private Facebook group, Bear Mountain Folk.

He said that the community felt conned, adding: “The change of the community space use is contrary to the section 106 agreement which defines the benefit as for residents of the Moulsecoomb and Bevendean ward which the new community arts space would not be.

“The proposed space for ward residents has now been sidelined to what was initially proposed as a bin store!

“No attempt to develop a community-led scheme has been undertaken and the new developers appear to be significantly underestimating the loss of the ‘asset of community value’ on this community.”

The old Lectern pub, which used to be on the site, was declared an “asset of community value” in January 2016 – and residents say that there is little other community space in the area.

One of them said in a letter of objection to the council: “We are continually being told by developers that they aim to be harmonious with local residents and promise such sweeteners as dedicated community space.

“Get planning approved then lo and behold decide to get rid of what they promised for more profit squeezing in yet more student rooms.”

Councillor Daniel Yates

Another objector, listed on the council’s website, said: “The community space on the original plans is vital to the area and should be a space where the local community choose what is housed there.

“The space should not be reallocated to a predetermined project – a music school which will only benefit musicians and music students instead of all community projects.”

Another objector wrote: “It will be community space in name only and appears to be not only cynical and dismissive of the local community but also completely in breach of the original planning permission.

“Having met the local group of residents, I can see that they are utterly committed to the project as originally granted.”

The developer’s agent, Simply Planning, said that the changes to the application were submitted after “extensive pre-application discussions” with council officers, local politicians and the community.

The agent’s letter said: “The Centre for Inclusive Music would provide a permanent home for a cultural hub, the primary purpose of which would be to increase access for children and young people to high-quality music and arts education.

“It would be run by Brighton and Hove Music and Arts as part of Brighton Dome Brighton Festival, and would enable them to significantly increase the music programme it currently offers to the city’s children and young people especially those with special educational needs/disabilities.”

The company said that it had provided a “larger community space” after consulting with the local action team in March.

Drawings and details of the changes to the approved scheme can be found on the council’s website at planningapps.brighton-hove.gov.uk. Search for BH2019/01932.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

New bus route to start next month

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

Developer consigns Brighton community hub to bin store

Odeon developer asks permission for 12-month ad shroud

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 5: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 5: 25 reviews)

22 May 2026
SORA pop up to bring a layer of class to Malmaison

SORA arrives at Malmaison Brighton Marina

22 May 2026
Phone-free restaurant gets permanent home

Phone-free restaurant gets permanent home

22 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 4: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 4: 25 reviews)

22 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
July 2019
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News