• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Scouser charged with being drunk in charge of a child after police mistook his accent for slurring

by Jo Wadsworth
Monday 25 Nov, 2019 at 3:00PM
A A
2
Scouser charged with being drunk in charge of a child after police mistook his accent for slurring

A Brighton man with a strong Scouse accent was charged with being drunk in charge of a young girl after police mistook his accent for being drunk.

Anthony Shakespeare, 46, and the three-year-old girl he was looking after were enjoying the hot sun on Brighton seafront on 1 June this year when police turned up.

They had been contacted by a member of the public who told them she had seen a little girl wandering unsupervised along the pavement in Madeira Drive.

Shakespeare was arrested and charged with being drunk in a public place in charge of a child under seven. But today, he was acquitted by magistrates at Brighton Magistrates Court who said they agreed that police mistook the accent for slurred speech.

Defending, Stephen Paley said: “No offence to people with Scouse accent, but the nature of the accent itself is that it can make people appear drunk.

“The officers didn’t notice the Scouse accent, but they did say his speech was slurred. However, the bodyworn camera footage shows that Mr Shakespeare wasn’t slurring his words.”

Giving the verdict of not guilty, chair of the bench Rosalind Buchan said: “The passer-by had seen a snapshot of the situation of a short period of time.

“The two police officers failed to spot the defendant’s strong Liverpool accent.

“We find him to be a very credible witness who gave an honest account and readily admitted having two and a half drinks. He said the child was sat at his side at all times and was never near to the road.

“The body worn footage showed he remained firm but polite at all times and there’s no evidence of Mr Shakespeare losing his full control.”

Shakespeare, of Charlotte Street, Brighton, had been drinking with two friends Theresa and Lisa at the Modern World bar on Madeira Drive, with the little girl sat next to them except when she briefly got up to play with the bar owner Neil’s Staffie, the court heard.

A hot Saturday, the seafront was particularly busy as the Kemp Town Carnival was taking place nearby and there was a Hell’s Angels rally on the seafront.

Shakespeare said that although she was occasionally a few feet away from him, at no point was she not being watched by someone.

He also pointed out that the seating area on the pavement is sectioned off, and he knew the girl well enough to be confident she wouldn’t run off into traffic.

He told the court they were there for two and a half hours from about 4pm, during which time he had two Bacardis and coke, following on from a small glass of wine he had drunk in his garden an hour before.

Prosecuting, Tony Booth said: “The police were obviously concerned, rightly or wrongly, because they had reports that the girl was running about and wasn’t being properly looked after.

“Children of that age are not able to bear in mind road safety, they act instinctively and run about when they see something that attracts them.

“That’s the point – you would have realised,1 if you hadn’t had too much to drink, there’s a possibility that anything could have happened.”

He said: “Everyone was watching the child. She was always by my side and if she wasn’t looking at me, she was looking at Theresa and Lisa.

“I was compos mentis. I was standing straight. I wasn’t slurring my words.

“I wouldn’t put a child in harm’s way in any shape or form.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. bradly says:
    7 years ago

    sue!

    Reply
  2. Robin Hislop says:
    7 years ago

    Ha ha! This could be a Daily Mash headline…

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Scouser charged with being drunk in charge of a child after police mistook his accent for slurring

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
November 2019
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News