• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

McDonald's round the clock hopes rejected by Brighton and Hove councillors

by Frank le Duc
Sunday 9 Jan, 2011 at 2:50AM
A A
1

McDonald’s hopes of round the clock burgers in Brighton were dashed by violent and rowdy customers and drunks passing out in their toilets.

Sussex Police said that in the past year officers had been sent half a dozen times to deal with trouble involving people on the premises or who had just left.

In September a teenage girl was sexually assaulted after being followed out of the Western Road branch by three men – and a boy with her was attacked and injured.

On another occasion a female member of staff was attacked after work.

Twice men have fallen asleep in the toilets. One was drunk and had to be treated by paramedics.

The other was found when staff opened up in the morning. He had been locked in, undetected, when workers locked up the night before.

And a gang of youths held a food fight and threw condoms around a few months ago.

The fast food chain wanted a 24-hour licence at weekends.

It also wanted to close an hour later – at midnight – on Sundays to Thursdays and on the same days start serving food and drink an hour and a half earlier – from 5am.

But the burger chain’s proposals were rejected by a Brighton and Hove City Council licensing panel on Wednesday.

The panel heard that Chief Superintendent Graham Bartlett, the Brighton and Hove divisional police commander, opposed the application by McDonald’s.

He said that there were so many premises in the area selling food and drink late into the night that crime and disorder had reached problem levels.

Green councillor Jason Kitcat, who represents Regency ward, also objected to the application from McDonald’s.

Like the police, he said that he feared an increase in noise, public nuisance and crime.

The panel was reminded that Western Road falls within the council’s “cumulative impact area” – a part of town where the number of pubs, clubs and cafés is at saturation point.

If councillors receive objections to proposals for new licences and longer hours they can only approve them if applicants can show that they will not add to the town centre’s problems.

McDonald’s failed to convince the panel.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. A Thorpe says:
    16 years ago

    The problems detailed above at this branch of McDonald’s are obviously not created by McDonald’s. It is wrong to penalise them for it. The problems are caused by drinlking elsewhere and this is what the council need to deal with. As usual they like the business that drunks bring into the city and therefore do nothing about it.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

McDonald's round the clock hopes rejected by Brighton and Hove councillors

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
January 2011
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News