Brighton seafront hotel evacuated after bomb scare

Posted On 10 Sep 2017 at 6:39 pm

The Grand hotel and the Brighton Centre on Brighton seafront have been evacuated after a bomb scare this afternoon (Sunday 10 September).

And the A259 seafront road has been closed between the i360 and the Palace Pier. West Street is also closed to traffic and pedestrians.

The New Club – in King’s Road to the west of Regency Square – said that it had been ordered to close by Sussex Police although the Hilton Brighton Metropole is still open.

The force said that a 999 call came in shortly after 4.30pm and that as a result it was dealing with a “security issue”.

Bomb disposal experts have been called to the area for the second time in a few days. A scare in Peacehaven on Wednesday turned out to be an old fuel tank.

Sussex Police said: “Police have been working with management at the Grand hotel in King’s Road, Brighton. after an anonymous phone call was received at the hotel at 4.30pm, alleging that there was an explosive device there.

“Hotel management decided to evacuate the hotel, a decision supported by the police, and the hotel was swiftly and safely evacuated.

“Thorough searches and inquiries are taking place to establish as soon as possible whether or not the call is a genuine one.

“Military ordnance disposal are attending as part of the search

“Nothing untoward has been found at this time.

“In the meantime roads and car parks in the immediate vicinity have been closed as part of the precautions.

“Drivers and pedestrians are advised that there will be some inevitable delays and diversions until the incident is safely resolved.”

The annual TUC conference started at the Brighton Centre earlier today.

West Street has been closed as police deal with a ‘security issue’ on the Brighton seafront – Pictures by Hugo Medcalf

Many of those who have been evacuated – in windy and rainy conditions – are believed to have gone next door to the Hilton Brighton Metropole.

Scottish Daily Record reporter Torcuil Crichton said that the seafront was taped off.

Sussex Police advised people to avoid the area for the time being.

Traffic jams were reported on the seafront and in roads leading to and from the front.

Leave a Reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.