• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton and Hove planners fire warning shot over ‘land banking’

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 7 Jun, 2018 at 11:30AM
A A
0
Brighton hotel owner risks losing permission to convert building into flats

Preston Park Hotel

Planners are putting fresh pressure on developers in Brighton and Hove as they seek to increase the number of affordable homes being built.

They aim to tackle “land-banking”, the name given to the practice of gaining planning permission for a project, which increases the value of a site, but then not building the approved scheme.

Two schemes, with conditional planning permission, came back before planners yesterday (Wednesday 6 June).

While no one suggested that the owners were banking the land or gaming the system, councillors seemed keen to show developers that they had to use or lose it when it came to valuable permissions to build.

A scheme to build flats and offices on the site of Portslade Panelworks, on the corner of Orchard Gardens and Nevill Road, Hove, came close to being rejected.

And officials may yet throw out plans to turn the Preston Park Hotel, in Preston Road, Brighton, into flats.

The move may also help tackle the workload in the planning department at Brighton and Hove City Council.

Yesterday, at the council’s Planning Committee meeting at Hove Town Hall, two developers were given a deadline to reach an agreement with officials or lose their conditional planning permissions.

The two schemes – for 45 flats in total – were given conditional planning permission in June last year and October 2016 respectively.

The conditions included signing an agreement to include a total of 19 “affordable” flats but the agreements still haven’t been signed.

Planning officer Jonathan Puplett told the Planning Committee that there were no clear reasons for the delays – a point contested in each case by the developers’ agents.

Issues with banks and potential buyers were cited as reasons for the delay.

Preston Park Hotel

After months of effort from officers, agents finally got in touch on the day of the planning meeting, Mr Puplett said.

One agent said though that the council appeared to be ignoring relevant legal correspondence when saying that there had been no progress.

The agreements, if signed, would also mean a total of about £225,000 in developer contributions being paid to the council to spend on schools, transport and parks and open spaces.

The Portslade Panelworks site in Orchard Gardens and Nevill Road in Hove

After the meeting, Councillor Julie Cattell, who chairs the Planning Committee and has spoken about the need to tackle “land-banking” by developers, said: “We need housing and it’s important that applicants are focused on fulfilling their side of the bargain when they seek planning permission.”

Councillors were reluctant to turn down either application, instead opting to give the developers more time.

But if they fail to sign the agreements by Tuesday 7 August, they will be refused planning permission.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Brighton and Hove planners fire warning shot over ‘land banking’

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Lewes line to reopen next month

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
June 2018
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News