• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton shared house plan turned down by councillors

by Frank le Duc
Friday 9 Aug, 2019 at 12:30PM
A A
1
Brighton shared house plan turned down by councillors

A developer was refused permission to turn a house with a tiny kitchen into a student house.

Councillors were concerned about the number of people using the small kitchen at 7a Southover Street, particularly as it was the only way to get through to one of the building’s toilets.

Alpha Projects (Sussex) Ltd had applied for planning permission to change the home into a four-bedroom house of multiple occupation (HMO).

The ground floor plans were for a living room, separate kitchen and two separate toilets.

Two bedrooms were proposed for both the first and second floor, with a smaller third room designated as a study.

The Brighton and Hove City Council Planning Committee was told that there was only one licensed HMO within a 50-metre radius – so there were not too many in the immediate vicinity for another to be permitted, according to council policy.

But Brighton University has four halls of residence blocks within the area.

Green councillor Steph Powell, who represents Hanover and Elm Grove ward, told the committee that she did not understand why the halls of residence opposite were not counted.

She told the committee at Hove Town Hall: “It’s going to affect the amenities in the area.

“The key thing is it is going to affect the community spirit of Hanover.

“You have these huge student buildings opposite. Would you really consider that as one home or hundreds of people on short-term lets in the building?

“The halls are right opposite. It’s going to pave the way for more student accommodation in the area. It’s something people don’t want.”

Labour councillor Daniel Yates said that the kitchen fell short of what was required for three or four occupiers.

“Those study areas could be at some stage used as bedrooms with appropriate planning permission. Then that kitchen space would be significantly less.”

He said: “I consider the standard of accommodation to be completely unsuitable for four occupiers, which is what they’re applying for, down to the grounds the kitchen is not a suitable size and space standard and because the kitchen gives access to another WC, resulting in extra throughput and access requirements.

“I would expect it to be larger not smaller than the minimum space standard.”

Councillor Steph Powell

Conservative councillor Dee Simson was concerned that the property was already in use as a shared house and was told that it had been in the past.

She backed Councillor Yates and said: “The space is too small. I don’t like the fact the toilet is off the kitchen.

“It restricts the standard let alone the space.”

Labour councillor Tracey Hill, who chairs the Planning Committee, said: “I concur with both Councillor Yates and Councillor Simson as the standard of accommodation is too poor.

“The communal space is insufficient and I think the study areas are inappropriate.”

Councillors voted unanimously to refuse permission as the proposed space and standard of the accommodation was unacceptable for a shared house.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Christopher Hawtree says:
    7 years ago

    This was the theme of the Meeting. An earlier HMO Application was thrown out, when the “developer” clearly riled the Committee by his belligerent attitude, demanding that they come to meet him about forthcoming applications along similar lines and saying that he could not tell “professional” lodgers how to live (significantly, he had already installed thick insulation). There was a third HMO Application, but there has not yet been a report about the way that one went. Even so, these two cases show the way the Committee is tacking over the subject, and Planning Officers will surely be suggesting to Applicsnts that they cannot assume Applications will get through. As I say, that first developer caused special damage for all developers by his rebarbative attitude. A classic case of the wrong person to be a Public Speaker. How very much better, the speech by a neighbour. And, of course, the strong one by cllr Powell about the Southover St. one with its surreal lavatory/kitchen which, understandably, disturbed cllr Yates’s sensibilities.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Brighton shared house plan turned down by councillors

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Sussex University staff vote to strike to try to save jobs

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury Flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

14 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
August 2019
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News