• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Where should new homes be built in Brighton and Hove?

Work to start on new City Plan to guide decisions for years to come

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Tuesday 19 May, 2026 at 12:45AM
A A
0
Brighton given £17m funding towards two key projects

Picture courtesy of Visit Brighton

People will be asked for their views on housing need in Brighton and Hove when a public consultation on the new “City Plan” begins in July.

Brighton and Hove City Council’s cabinet approved moving forward with the process of creating a new set of planning policies until 2041.

When the cabinet met at Hove Town Hall on Thursday (14 May), Labour councillor Alan Robins asked whether the new City Plan would add to the existing City Plan or effectively “rip up” the previous policies.

The Labour deputy leader of the council, Jacob Taylor, said that the council was required to keep its strategic plan updated and up to date.

The next City Plan is expected to follow a new government framework which requires councils to create plans over 30 months, incorporating changes in national law and policy and reflecting local priorities.

Councillor Taylor said: “Do we want to introduce a principal residence policy for certain buildings and can we do that legally? We’ll have to explore that through the process.

“Are there certain sites that were previously occupied, whether they’re former office blocks or otherwise, that now might want to be allocated as housing but previously were not in the old plan.

“This is not about ripping up an old plan and doing something completely different.”

Ideas already floated by councillors in the past year include the principal residence policy mentioned by Councillor Taylor. The aim would be to prevent new builds being sold as second homes or left as empty investments.

Other proposals include introducing policies to regulate short-term holiday lets.

Councillor Taylor said that the council could look again at its policies on shared houses, known as HMOs (houses in multiple occupation).

The current City Plan was approved in two parts. When part two was voted through in 2022, it introduced new policies restricting the number of shared houses across wider neighbourhood areas.

It was also intended to prevent three shared houses in a row and two shared houses from sandwiching a family home.

Existing restrictions on the number of HMOs within 50 metres of another in five electoral wards remained in place.

Controversial parts of City Plan Part Two included allocating housing on “urban fringe” sites such as Benfield Valley and the butterfly bank at Swanborough Drive, in Whitehawk.

Councillor Jacob Allen

Labour councillor Jacob Allen, a former deputy chair of the council’s Planning Committee and an associate member of the Royal Town Planning Institute, said that these strategic plans were “the most important document a council can have”.

He said that such plans would give the Planning Committee the “tools needed” to represent residents’ views and the city’s needs.

Councillor Allen said: “Not having an up-to-date and sound local plan is really devastating for a council.

“I’ve done work in Arun, along the coast from us, where developers just have free rein in terms of what they go for, and the inspector has very little choice but to uphold it even when planning committees are quite firm in their decision-making.”

Some 700 people responded to an initial consultation on key issues from November 2024 to January 2025, suggesting themes and ideas to focus as the City Plan takes shape.

  • Homes for everyone
  • Sustainability and climate change
  • A diverse and sustainable city economy
  • Design and place-making
  • Culture and tourism
  • Healthy city and communities
  • Biodiversity and green infrastructure
  • Transport and infrastructure

The council has been awarded £108,000 by the government to help fund work on the new plan.

It is due to formally give notice of its intention to begin work on the plan by Tuesday 23 June and to carry out a scoping consultation from mid-July to September.

A more in-depth six-week consultation will take place from July to September next year once the council puts together the contents and evidence that are expected to form the future plan.

A finalised plan is due to go before the council’s cabinet in April 2028 and a meeting of the full council a month later before a final eight-week public consultation in the summer of that year.

The final steps are for a government minister, the Secretary of State, to sign off the plan and then for the council to adopt it formally in March 2029.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Man charged with raping woman on Brighton beach

Two men appear in court charged with murder in Brighton

Developer plans 12-storey block of co-living flats

Care provider chosen to run council’s £6m new supported living scheme

Where should new homes be built in Brighton and Hove?

Brighton woman charged after pro-Palestine protest in London

Former Brighton MP gives Burnham a boost

Pavement gullies for electric cars to be trialled

Drowned women now identified, police believe

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Top 5 music performances during this year’s Official and Unofficial ‘Escapes’

Top 5 music performances during this year’s Official and Unofficial ‘Escapes’

18 May 2026
A Bank Holiday Weekend of Art, Music and Food  with Nabihah Iqbal: Imagined, Eternal

A Bank Holiday Weekend of Art, Music and Food with Nabihah Iqbal: Imagined, Eternal

18 May 2026
The Great Escape marks its 20th anniversary with triumphant celebration of new music

The Great Escape marks its 20th anniversary with triumphant celebration of new music

18 May 2026
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Lantern Theatre, Brighton 22-23rd May 2026

Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

18 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
May 2026
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Apr    

RSS From Sussex News

  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
  • Smurf line drug dealer jailed 13 May 2026
  • Patti Smith: A legend returns to Brighton Dome 13 May 2026
  • Driver arrested after woman dies in crash today 12 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News