• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton hospital trust celebrates waiting time success

by Frank le Duc
Friday 23 Aug, 2013 at 10:46AM
A A
0

The main hospital trust for Brighton and Hove has hit its 18-week target for treating patients across all 16 of its specialties for the first time.

Matthew Kershaw, chief executive of the Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust, said: “This first for us is of enormous credit to everyone involved and a moment for real celebration not just in terms of a target achieved but because of what it means for our patients.

“We now need to maintain the momentum and ensure we capture how we approached this, and any new ways of working which helped us get there, so this learning can be played into the next steps of the Foundations for Success work which I circulated on Friday (16 August).”

Mr Kershaw, who runs the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton, said that the 18-week target was introduced in the NHS Plan in 2000.

Matthew Kershaw
Matthew Kershaw

He said: “The 18-week target said that by the end of December 2008 for at least 95 per cent of non-admitted patients and 90 per cent of admitted patients, the wait from referral to first hospital treatment would be no more than 18 weeks.

“This included all the stages that lead up to treatment, including outpatient consultations and diagnostic tests and procedures.

“The 18-week target was different from previous waiting time targets because instead of focusing on a single stage of treatment it measured the whole patient pathway and in doing so exposed some ‘hidden waits’ which historically had taken weeks or months to complete.

“When the 18-week target was introduced it presented every hospital in the country with a massive, and for many seemingly insurmountable challenge but we did it.

“Three years on, it was becoming apparent that by monitoring the 18-week target for all admitted and non-admitted patients, a trust could be hitting the target every month even if there were specialties that were consistently not.

“In other words excellent performance in some specialties was covering up problems in others.

“From April 2012 the target was adjusted to track individual performance in all specialties and a third indicator was added to ensure patients who were not seen within 18 weeks were still treated equitably – a new challenge, for everyone.”

Mr Kershaw said that his trust had met the target in all 16 specialties for the first time last month (July).

In a letter to staff he added: “Last week we had two unannounced visits from the Care Quality Commission (CQC) to Hove Polyclinic and the Park Centre for Breast Care.

“The areas looked at included patient information, privacy and dignity, care and welfare of patients, safeguarding, cleanliness and infection control.

“And the inspector has indicated that both sites were fully compliant across the board.

“The inspector also commented on how impressed she was with the staff she spoke to and the evidently high standards of care being delivered to patients.

“My thanks to everyone involved in these inspections and to everyone who works at sites other than the County and Princess Royal (in Haywards Heath).

“We don’t always pay enough attention to the many smaller sites from which we provide services including Brighton General Hospital and Lewes Victoria Hospital as well as Hove Polyclinic and the Park Centre.

“Instead of describing ourselves as one trust across two sites we need to start describing ourselves as one trust across many sites.”

 

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Brighton hospital trust celebrates waiting time success

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Load More
August 2013
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News