• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Approval given for two Brighton doctors’ surgeries to merge

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 4 Sep, 2019 at 12:17AM
A A
0
Another Brighton doctor’s surgery to close

A merger between two doctors’ surgeries was approved by Brighton and Hove health bosses.

Matlock Road Surgery, run by Dr Paul Allan, will merge with the Beaconsfield Medical Practice, in Preston Road, Brighton, in March next year.

The move was given the rubber stamp by the Brighton and Hove Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) Primary Care Commissioning Committee at Hove Town Hall this afternoon (Tuesday 3 September).

The discussion was a late addition to the committee’s main agenda meeting after a patient’s complaint about lack of transparency.

It had previously been included in the “part 2” private session due to the financial elements of the proposed merger.

The committee’s deputy chair Mike Holdgate, who is also the CCG’s lead for patient and public participation, criticised the original assumption that it should be decided in private.

He said: “Keeping a focus on a balance between the public and the private, I am pleased to see it was a mistake.

“It never should be practice for a merger to ever be thought to be in the private part of the meeting.

“We need to constantly be vigilant about this. We should not have very much in the private part of our meeting.”

Dr Charles Turton, who chairs the committee, apologised for the miscommunication resulting in it originally being included in private session only.

He had to leave the meeting due to a conflict of interest, with the committee’s independent clinical member Dr Jennifer Oates taking over.

The report before the committee said that patients would have higher-quality care in the Beaconsfield Medical Centre’s modern building with a wide range of services.

It would also result in a lower patient to full-time GP ratio of 2,125 patients per full time doctor, compared with 2,476 at Matlock Road.

However, the national average is 1,780.

Councillor Sarah Nield

The CCG’s director of primary and community care Sally Smith said: “Dr Allan feels he is not able to continue delivering general medical services out of Matlock Road as a ‘single hander’.

“There will be the same amount of clinical capacity.

“There is a real feeling around clinical safety when you are working in an environment with a multi-skilled team around you, to support you. It is a better environment for patient care.”

Hugo Luck, deputy director of primary and community care, told the committee and a public question time earlier that GPs were not employed by the clinical commissioning group but were contracted.

He said that it was Dr Allan’s decision not to renew his lease when it was due to expire in March next year as he did not want to work as a lone GP and had had difficulty recruiting another partner for the practice.

During public consultations Mr Luck said that patients were concerned about public transport access.

He said that details of other practices which would be easier to reach via public transport would be made available.

Mr Holdgate raised concerns about the prospect of voluntary transport being listed as an option to help people travel to the new surgery.

He was worried that the same option was suggested to help patients travelling from Rottingdean to Saltdean which then did not happen.

Mr Luck said that during the public session public transport was raised as and issue – and voluntary transport had not worked out in Rottingdean.

However, he said that the CCG had a longer period of time to help organise a service.

Withdean ward councillor Sarah Nield, a newly elected Green councillor, sat through the meeting, having taken up the campaign on behalf of people in the area.

She was concerned about elderly patients trying to reach the surgery.

Councillor Nield said: “Many of them have been with Dr Allan for many years and want to stay with their family doctor.

“But taking on this longer journey, they tell me it’s too far to walk, the hill is too steep, public transport links are bad and there’s no parking.

“It’s very difficult to find a way around the fact it is inaccessible.

“I am pleased we have been able to talk with the CCG about sending out information about other practices where the public transport links might be better, even if it’s further away.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

New bus route to start next month

Sussex Police officer denies child sex offences and perverting justice

Approval given for two Brighton doctors’ surgeries to merge

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

21 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

21 May 2026
Bound By The Wind, Rotunda Bubble, May 24-25th 2026

Bound By The Wind Brings The Story of Mulan

21 May 2026
Godz, Head First Acrobats, Brighton Fringe, May 2026

Godz Of Brighton Fringe

21 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
September 2019
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News