• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Neighbours of arson-hit site say it’s unsafe

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 2 Apr, 2024 at 6:12PM
A A
5
Large blaze breaks out in Brighton

The fire tearing through an outbuilding on the derelict site in Lewes Road

The neighbours of a site set on fire three times in the last year have raised concerns about unsafe it is.

The owners of Kicks Martial Arts in Lewes Road say just last month a teenage boy fell through the roof of the former car showroom in Lewes Road.

The following week, last Tuesday, arsonists torched one of the buildings on the derelict site, next to Gladstone Terrace. Another arson attack took place last July, and Kicks say there was another fire there last October.

Brighton and Hove City Council says it is going to write to the owner of the site asking him to make it more secure – and presentable from the outside.

Owner John Blankson was granted permission to build a four-storey building including flats and a retail unit there in 2020, but these plans were never progressed.

In 2021, Southdown Housing Association applied for planning permission for a similar scheme, intending to use the flats for supported housing – with the intention of buying the site if it was granted.

But although provisionally granted in 2021, the application was withdrawn before negotiations over a financial contribution finished.

The derelict site

Tiffany Williams, who owns Kicks with Chris Kent, said: “The derelict site is an area for concern and an eyesore.

“We are regularly aware of people wandering in and out of the back exit. A couple of weeks ago I told two young teenage boys who were around the back of the site to get out, and waited until they’d left.

“They were messing around and one had fallen through the roof so his friend was waiting for him to climb out. Both were ok but I told them how unsafe it was, and to not go in there again.”

She says the derelict site also affects their business as many people think Kicks, which used to also operate from the site, is also closed.

When there’s a fire, they have to evacuate and even once they’re back inside, people still cancel training as they think the traffic will make it too hard to get to.

If a fire takes hold, it can also take a couple of days for the smell of smoke to leave their building.

She said: “It would be nice if something was able to be done with the land. It obviously doesn’t add to the appeal of Lewes Road.

“There was another interested party in 2023 after Southdowns Housing Association but this also fell through.”

A council spokesperson said: “We are concerned about the condition of the site at 186-187 Lewes Road.

“We have visited the site and will be writing to its current owner to make clear our concerns.

“In particular, we will be asking them to ensure that the site is secure and to post suitable keep out notices on the hoardings.

“We also feel the owner should do more at the front of this derelict site to make its impact less intrusive on its neighbourhood.

“We always try to work constructively with property owners to rectify any problems with their properties.

“But we do not hesitate to take appropriate enforcement action when owners fail to engage with us.

“The national Health and Safety Executive can take action against property owners who do not satisfactorily secure their sites.

“If the public see people playing or loitering on the site, they should report it to the HSE at: https://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/tell-us-about-a-health-and-safety-issue.htm ”

Mr Blankson was approached for comment.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 5

  1. Bear Road resident says:
    2 years ago

    Whilst I agree that this site is an eyesore I can’t agree with the statement that it doesn’t add to the appeal of Lewes Road. A mile and a half of dodgy vape shops, takeaways, fast-food emporia and a hot spot for anti-social behaviour the Lewes Road has long lost any pretence at being appealing…

    Reply
  2. James says:
    2 years ago

    Same guy who fined in 2023 for not securing building sites?

    Reply
    • Jo Wadsworth says:
      2 years ago

      Thanks James – I’ve looked into this, and it was actually 2010 (a trade news article you probably saw was wrongly dated) but I’m following it up

      Reply
  3. Dave says:
    2 years ago

    Let it burn to the ground next time… BHCC should issue a compulsory purchase order for this property as it’s on the main road into the city. They could use it to put some council flats on rather than this speculator who couldn’t give a monkeys

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      2 years ago

      I’m actually wondering if BHCC could do a development there. Even a community asset would be welcome.

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Neighbours of arson-hit site say it’s unsafe

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Firefighters put out blaze on boat at Marina

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
April 2024
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News