• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Brighton student accuses police of mistreatment after sexual assault

by Frank le Duc
Monday 24 Jan, 2011 at 1:41PM
A A
0

A student from Brighton has made a formal complaint about the way that the police dealt with her after she was sexually assaulted.

She asked for help after a man sexually assaulted her during the student tuition fees protest last month.

But she accused officers of not taking the incident seriously.

The student, who cannot be named, was one of hundreds of students contained in a “kettle” at the time.

She told the Sussex University student newspaper, The Badger, that she fell to the floor during a police charge.

While on the floor she was assaulted by a man with shoulder-length curly hair and brown eyes.

She and her friends asked officers for help but she was not allowed to leave or receive help for 30 to 40 minutes.

When she was interviewed, she said that officers treated her as a criminal rather than a victim and even refused to let her have drinking water.

They kept her tights as evidence but gave her no suitable replacement.

She left the Metropolitan Police station nearly five hours later to make her own way home, bare legged on a cold December night.

The assault took place on Thursday 9 December in London and, after her formal complaint, was followed up by the Met in a phone call to the student on Saturday 15 January.

The victim said that her treatment during the phone call was similar to the way that she was treated at the police station on the day of the incident.

The Badger quotes the student as saying that there was “zero chance that my case will be dealt with”.

She added: “The state failed me on that day and had no regard for my safety.”

A spokesman for the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) said that it had received the student’s complaint.

The spokesman said that the IPCC written to the victim and, with her consent, had passed on her complaint to the Met to deal with.

She said that the Met’s directorate of professional standards would have contacted her to resolve the matter and that if she was still unhappy she could appeal to the IPCC.

The University of Sussex Students’ Union told The Badger: “The police’s behaviour in this incident is despicable.

“Reports of beating, charging and ‘kettling’ are enough without the accompanying negligence that this student has suffered.

“The police’s record in dealing with sexual assault in this country is shameful.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Brighton student accuses police of mistreatment after sexual assault

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
January 2011
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News