Nineteen people arrested during march and demo in Brighton

Posted On 21 Apr 2013 at 8:50 pm

Sussex Police said that 19 were arrested by officers policing the March for England and a counter-protest in Brighton today (Sunday 21 April).

The force reported a number of incidents of disorder and said that they were dealt with promptly.

A small number of people protesting against the march threw bricks at police horses and stones and ink at officers, Sussex Police said.

It issued a statement saying: “The March for England in Brighton passed without significant incident and the man in charge of policing the operation to keep the peace has said that he is broadly very pleased with how it went.”

Superintendent Steve Whitton said: “While there have been a few incidents around the city, which have been swiftly dealt with, the march itself passed quite peacefully, although there were a few missiles thrown at the marchers.

“There were some injuries as a result that were treated by police medics at the scene, but none that we are aware of that resulted in hospital treatment.

“Elsewhere around the city centre, there were incidents of disorder where people making their way to the march were attacked.

“Bricks were thrown at police horses that were trying to intervene and police officers came under attack by stones and large bottles of ink.

“It appears that the vast majority of the disorder that occurred was carried out by a small minority from within those who were there to oppose the march.

“I know that the operation caused disruption to the seafront but I believe that the location enabled us to maintain a firm control on those who might have wished to bring violence and disorder to our city’s streets.

“I should especially like to thank residents, traders and visitors for their patience and co-operation and in particular our colleagues in local authorities, transport providers and other emergency services for their assistance.

“This was a significant policing operation, but I am satisfied that the results show that it was proportionate and appropriate in keeping the city relatively peaceful and free from serious disorder.”

Sussex Police said: “A woman who was treated for a head injury at Pool Valley around midday was found to have tripped and banged her head and was not connected with the march or counter protests.

“Another woman, who sustained an eye injury in Old Steine, believed to have been caused by something that was thrown, was taken to the Sussex Eye Hospital for treatment.

“Participants in the march who arrived by road were met by police on the outskirts of the city and invited to use a bus to travel to their assembly point in Madeira Drive.

“The march started shortly before 1pm and returned to Madeira Drive about 50 minutes later.

“After being addressed by organisers, the majority left the area on two buses and the remainder dispersed gradually, clearing the area by around 3.30pm.”

Sussex Police estimated that about 250 people took place in the march, with up to 1000 counter-protestors.

The force said that about 700 public order police officers were deployed on the operation with mutual aid officers attending from a dozen neighbouring forces, including police horse units.

It is thought to be the largest policing operation in Sussex for some years.

As the operation officially concluded at 6pm, Sussex Police reported that 19 arrests had been made for offences including affray, assault causing actual bodily harm (ABH), theft, having offensive weapons, assaulting police and other public order offences.

Those arrested were

  • A 45-year-old man from Brighton arrested on suspicion of theft and breaching public order
  • A 27-year-old man from Brighton arrested on suspicion of having an offensive weapon, released with no further action to be taken.
  • A 33-year-old man from Portslade arrested on suspicion of breaching the peace.
  • A 20-year-old man from Brighton arrested on suspicion of breaching public order.
  • An 18-year-old man from Brighton arrested on suspicion of breaching public order.
  • A 35-year-old man from Hove arrested on suspicion of affray and common assault.
  • A 25-year-old man from Brighton arrested on suspicion of breaching public order.
  • A 45-year-old man from Hove arrested on suspicion of affray.
  • A 45-year-old man from Dartford arrested on suspicion of having an offensive weapon.
  • A 31-year-old man London arrested on suspicion of assault causing ABH and affray.
  • A 62-year-old man from London arrested on suspicion of affray.
  • A 23-year-old woman, no address given, arrested on suspicion of affray.
  • A 29-year-old man, no address given, arrested on suspicion of affray.
  • A 19-year-old man from Cardiff arrested on suspicion of breaching public order.
  • A 22-year-old man from Southampton arrested on suspicion of affray.
  • A 44-year-old man from Crowborough arrested on suspicion of affray and assaulting a police officer.
  • A 25-year-old man, no address given, arrested on suspicion of ABH.
  • A 22-year-old man, no address give, arrested on suspicion of ABH and affray.
  • One man remains in custody arrested on suspicion of obstructing the highway, but is currently refusing to give his details.

 

  1. Martin Fish Reply

    can someone explain how these scumbags are allowed to disrupt a rare sunny day in our town. is it because they see it as a soft target? they wouldn’t have the balls to do it in Brixton. crawl back to your shitholes and leave us be.

  2. Clive Reply

    What worried me were the number of EDL boneheads who were wandering around the counter demonstration beforehand, trying to provoke people. Sits very oddly with the supposed peaceful intent. Then there is the huge economic cost to the city, what the huge policing operation, loss of trade and damage to its public image. Surely next year there’s got to be a strong argument for banning this march?

  3. stephen lowrie Reply

    Martin if you read the report and study the pictures and attended the parade like i did you will notice 90% Of the problems came from the lefties. And yes we have had simular events in Brixton and other parts of this great country.

  4. Martin Reply

    Stephen. I would wager I am as proud an Englishman as any who were on the EDL march.

    I am also proud of my city and it’s embrace of all creeds and genders.

    What I object to is the huge policing bill we local taxpayers have to stump up for this march each year.

    I also feel sorry for the poor shopkeepers on Brighton seafront who had to close up on the sunniest Sunday we’ve had all year and the effect the march had on any first-time visitors to our city who may never want to return.

    I don’t care who caused the trouble. All I know is the EDL march causes no end of aggro and expense every year and you could do the vast majority of us in B&H a favour and hold it somewhere else.

    Better still, why don’t you meet up with these “lefties” and sort it out once and for all in a car park near Luton. And leave us Brightonians in peace.

    Martin

Leave a Reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.