• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton and Hove secondary heads warn joy of learning could be lost as cuts hit

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 22 Mar, 2017 at 6:29AM
A A
0
Hove school praised by Ofsted inspectors

Brighton and Hove’s secondary heads have added their voices to a growing chorus of teachers and parents concerned at the implications of looming education funding cuts, saying the joy of learning could be lost as schools struggle to balance their budgets.

The government says it is overhauling the schools funding system to make it fairer across the country – but critics say there is a critical shortfall of money in the first place.

Although the total given to schools has increased, schools are having to hand more than the extra cash straight back to the government in increased national insurance and pensions contributions, business rates and other charges.

A parents campaign, Save Our Schools, has been launched this month, and last week primary heads wrote an open letter to city MPs saying the cuts would stretch them “beyond breaking point”.

And now the city’s secondary heads have written their own open letter as part of a national campaign, saying that Brighton and Hove is already one of the lowest funded education authorities, and the cuts would lower morale and put schools on the back foot.

Richard Bradford, head of Dorothy Stringer, said that other city heads were concerned about how the cuts would affect their schools.

He said: “Brighton and Hove is already one of the lowest funded local authorities in the country and individual schools will have to decide how best they manage the cuts.

“For some this will mean job losses and increases to class sizes. Staff may not be replaced when they leave and resources will be stretched. Many extra-curricular activities will be axed. All of this will impact on teaching and learning.

“These pressures thwart schools developing new initiatives and adopting new technology and resources, we are always on the back foot. The impact of this on morale in the profession as a whole affects recruitment – the shortage of applicants is so severe it is jeopardising our drive to improve standards in schools.

“The impact is already being felt on teaching, learning and student progress. As pressure increases on staff and students, the joy of learning will be lost, thereby impacting on attendance, behaviour, well-being and ultimately, standards.

“We need to take a good look at the formula for distributing funds to schools but first we need to ensure that there is sufficient funds allocated to it.”

The letter, addressed to Hove MP Peter Kyle, Brighton Pavilion MP Caroline Lucas and Brighton Pavilion MP Simon Kirby, says: “The Department for Education continues to divert significant monies to capital and revenue funding such as free school provision and grammar school expansion and this does not always guarantee value for money. At the same time, our schools simply do not have adequate funds to provide the education that every child in our care needs and deserves.

“To see such ill-judged spending being prioritised in a time of austerity is unacceptable. The disconnect between a Department making decisions that seem to entirely ignore the wishes and needs of dedicated and committed school leaders provides significant and tangible cause for concern.

“School leaders simply want a reasonable settlement that sees every child in every school adequately funded. There is no question that schools with differing contextual challenges should be funded differently but this should not come at the expense of allowing every school to operate effectively on behalf of the pupils’ families and communities that we serve.”

The city’s MPs outlined their responses to the changes in school funding yesterday, in response to a request for an urgent meeting from the National Association of Headteachers in a letter signed by most of the city’s primary school heads.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

New bus route to start next month

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

Brighton and Hove secondary heads warn joy of learning could be lost as cuts hit

Sussex Police officer denies child sex offences and perverting justice

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Odeon developer asks permission for 12-month ad shroud

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

21 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

21 May 2026
Bound By The Wind, Rotunda Bubble, May 24-25th 2026

Bound By The Wind Brings The Story of Mulan

21 May 2026
Godz, Head First Acrobats, Brighton Fringe, May 2026

Godz Of Brighton Fringe

21 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
March 2017
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News