• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Council asks police to toughen up graffiti punishments after tagger gets caution

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 5 Dec, 2019 at 1:32PM
A A
4
Council asks police to toughen up graffiti punishments after tagger gets caution

The council asking police to toughen up its punishments for graffiti vandals after a tagger who admitted scrawling his name over the city 80 times was given a caution and a day’s unpaid work.

The 22-year-old was caught scrawling the LABR tag across shops in North Street in the early hours of April 3 by a CCTV operator.

His tags were so prevalent in the city centre, they had even spawned a parody Twitter account, @LabradoodleG (bio: I make Brighton more beautiful each time I try to write my name on a wall. Brighton, The Edge, Whatever You Don’t Rule Me).

At the end of October, police announced they had tracked him down and given him a community caution.

But the lenient punishment led to an outcry – and now the council and police have met to discuss different ways of dealing with criminal damage caused by tagging.

At a meeting of the Goldsmid local action team last month, Brighton and Hove City Council’s assistant environment director Rachel Chasseaud was asked about the “mild penalty”.

She answered that too was disappointed by this and had expected prosecution for criminal damage.

She told residents she had not yet met with the police to discuss this, and was “looking at other prosecution routes which may carry a higher penalty and offer a more compelling deterrent.”

That meeting has now taken place, and Sussex Police says it is looking into different ways of dealing with graffiti, including getting offenders to remove their tags.

The council says it wants to see the toughest action possible taken and is drawing up its own database of tagging in the city so that action can be taken against offenders for all their graffiti vandalism when caught.

A spokeswoman for Sussex Police said: “We are aware of the council’s comment about the caution and we have met with the council to discuss this further.

“This also includes looking at different options of dealing with graffiti offences including the restorative justice/community payback options related to the offences.

“This will include offenders removing graffiti.”

A spokesman for the council said: “We are developing a massive database of multiple tagging so that when we catch an offender we can use it to cross reference and ensure we take the toughest action possible.”

The council is currently holding a public consultation on proposals to tackle “the scourge of graffiti and tagging in the city”, which runs until 15 December.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. JOHN MINNS says:
    7 years ago

    I see, the council and police have met up to discuss things with no mention about asking what the people of Brighton think, No doubt we will get a response ”eventually’ from the ”powers that be’.

    In their own time of course, which means no time soon. They are hoping perhaps that if they string this out, their’ retirements, or maybe being moved on to another sector or department or even another country will happen first so there will be no need to get back to the Plebians.let’s be fair though, they have only had five years or so to come up with a solution. No time at all really .. Well, I will tell you what I think and my time-saving suggestion if implemented, I believe we, will be able to sort out this business very very quickly. It goes like this.
    : Graffititager First offence. Six months in prison, no special privileges no tv no games, no gym, basic prison food, solitary confinement,made to wash. Problem solved.

    Reply
    • Chris says:
      7 years ago

      To which I would add – being made to clean off graffiti.

      Reply
  2. Robin Hislop says:
    7 years ago

    Another culprit is Paste who has the dubious distinction of being the first person to tag 150 year old flint walls all the way down Ditchling Road and surroundings. Think about that: for 150 years people have managed to restrain themselves from degrading the environment that they live in, but this twat feels entitled to do it. I call taggers out: if it’s so important to you to announce your existence to the world, why don’t you tag your real name? Cowards.

    Reply
  3. ' says:
    7 years ago

    I Am Afraid getting the culprits to clean up the graffiti will not work . (It is not as simple as that, There are health and safety issues as removal of some types of grafity would require a jet washer or sand blaster or, the use of strong chemicals. Some years back we had the ‘Payback team’ to do a general clean up around our building( not graffiti).Six offenders were brought along, plus three paid council workers ( one who had to be a first aider) to oversee the work. There were three breaks including free lunch suplied, toilet facilities were laid on . We then had a belligerent workforce that was unskilled and couldnt give a damm. And, the resedents had to clean up after them!! A complete waste of time resources and money.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Council asks police to toughen up graffiti punishments after tagger gets caution

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Load More
December 2019
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  
« Nov   Jan »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News